4TH ANNUAL KSL CONFERENCE
Venue: KENYA SCHOOL OF LAW, KAREN
Fee: 5,000.00 KSh
Non East African Fee: 10,000.00 KSh
Date: 04 April 2023 to 05 April 2023
THE KENYA SCHOOL OF LAW
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT TRAINING, PROJECTS AND RESEARCH DEPARTMENT
4TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE
THEME: LAW IN THE DIGITAL AGE
The Kenya School of Law will hold its 4th annual conference between the 4th – 5th of April 2023, at the Kenya School Law, Karen Campus. The theme of the conference is “Law in the digital age”.
The government of Kenya is committed to support technological advancements and in particular, enhance government service delivery through digitization and automation of all government critical processes and make available up to 80% of government services online. Subsequently the judiciary of Kenya, in an effort to modernize and to enhance access to justice has made substantial progress in the use of technology, information and communication systems. Whereas, e-justice in Kenya is lauded for enhancing transparency and effectiveness, concerns abound over validation, authentication of information and data security.
Similarly, Kenya adopted the use of electronic technology in casting and the counting of votes which enhanced procedural integrity in elections. On the other hand, however, the use of technology in elections cast unforeseen risks such as the difficulty in auditing election results. These advancements in the use of technology in service delivery in public entities takes place within the wider context of the digital revolution which, in its present format is characterized by the use of social media, smartphones and digital TV. This presents ethical concerns for professionals in their capacity as public servants and in their exercise of the freedom of expression as individuals.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS AND FULL PAPERS
The Kenya school of law invites academics, researchers, industry experts and students to submit abstracts relating to the conference theme and any of the sub themes. The abstracts will be evaluated by the editorial committee and if accepted, the author will receive further invitation to submit the full paper.
CONFERENCE THEME: LAW IN THE DIGITAL AGE.
CONFERENCE SUB - THEMES
Sub -theme 1 - Law, ethics and Social Media
1. E-professionalism in the use of electronic and social media by law students, lecturers, advocates and judicial officers.
2. Data protection laws and policies.
3. Law relating to social media
4. Law and ethics of experiments/ legal research on social media users
Sub - theme 2 - Electronic Justice
1. Electronic monitoring in the criminal justice system
2. Legislating for the digital age
3. The related problems of digitalization in the field of justice
4. Access to justice, procedural efficiency in e filing and dispute settlement
5. The use of technology in elections
Sub - theme 3 - The digital space and fundamental rights
1. Adapting core constitutional values to the needs of the digital society
2. Impact of digital technology on constitutional values and principles
3. Digital surveillance and commodification
4. Human rights, democracy and the digital age
Sub-Theme 4 – Legal Education in the Digital Age
1. Legal education and social media
2. Impact of technology on learning preferences and styles of law students
3. Copyright and innovation of digital course material
The conference will be held at the Kenya School of Law, Mutula Kilonzo Hall, Gate A. It will also be broadcasted live through the school’s youtube channel and other social media platforms.
The final papers will be published in the Kenya School of Law Journal.
All abstracts should be submitted by 1st March 2023 and full papers by the 17th of March 2023 via e-email firstname.lastname@example.org
For a submission to be accepted, it must conform to the following general guidelines:
- It should be original;
- It should not have been published elsewhere;
- It should not have been submitted elsewhere for publishing;
- It should conform to the prescribed style guidelines;
- Its length should be 500 for the abstract and between 8,000 -16,000 words for articles;
- It should be typed in Palatino Linotype, at 12 point (footnotes 10 point) font size and with 1.5 line spacing;
- It should include a short professional profile of the author(s);
- It should be sent electronically by e-mail in Word format (MS Word) to email@example.com
- Articles should be in conformity with the citation style prescribed in the latest edition of the Oxford University Standard for the Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA).
REGISTRATION AND CONFERENCE FEE
All who wish to attend the conference should register on the School’s online registration services https://services.ksl.ac.ke/cpd_course/22. The following charges will be applicable:
10,000 (USD 100)
Kenya & East Africa Rate
5,000 (USD 50)
KSL Current Student Rate
CONFERENCE SPONSOR AND EXHIBITOR OPPORTUNITIES
There is an opportunity to exhibit goods/services at the Conference. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
EXHIBITORS & VENDORS
One draped/skirted table, 2 chairs
One draped/skirted table, 2 chairs, 1 wastebasket, and 1 booth Identification sign
Vendor Donated Merchandise to be given away during the Conference, Institution information to be included in the conference material, 10 by 8 booth space with draping and carpet, one draped/skirted table, 2 chairs, 1 wastebasket, and 1 booth identification sign.
Vendor/Exhibitor Listing on the KSL Website, 30-minute presentation during the conference, internet and electricity connection, vendor donated merchandise to be given away during the Conference, display space in high traffic area, Institution information to be included in the conference package, 10 by 8 booth space with draping and carpet, one draped/skirted table, 2 chairs, 1 wastebasket, and 1 booth identification sign
Tear Drop Banner Only
PRIZES – BEST PAPER
VIDEOGRAPHY & STREAMING SERVICES
4 Halls videography and streaming
PAYING FOR THE CONFERENCE
Payment may be made to the School’s account (Account No. 202 2029 110 ABSA Bank Kenya PLC, Plaza Branch, Nairobi, Kenya) and banking slips or evidence of electronic funds transfer presented to the Finance Office. The fees quoted are inclusive of all taxes, tuition, lunch, refreshments and conference facilities.
Accommodation facilities are available within the Karen campus. Please contact our Hospitality Department on telephone number 020 2699581/6 ext. 223/311 and note to make early reservations.Members of the Law Society of Kenya who attend the conference physically will be entitled, on payment of extra Kes. 1,000.00 to be awarded 2 CPD points. Payment of this sum shall be effected during the training, as will be directed by the organizers of the training.
For any further communication please contact; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
DR. HENRY K. MUTAI
9001:2008 Certified Organization
Theme: LAW IN THE DIGITAL AGE
CPD Points: 2